Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Main hull progress

When I look back on the previous entry, I see I have accomplished a few things.
I spent several days sanding the outside of the hull and adding extra filler coats of epoxy. I have the hull pretty smooth now, but it was too cold to do any painting anyway, so I decided to roll the boat upright and go to work on the interior.
First thing I did was to measure everything to make sure it was all lined up. To my horror I found that the center board case was leaning in relation to the sides of the hull! I got out a long clamp and a spacer board and returned everything to design. It has been tied in that position for a few weeks now and each time I release the clamp I find it more vertical on its own. I have to leave the clamp on it until I get a substantial bracing part of the boat built. That would be the dash board for the rear seat.

In no particular order, these are the additions to the boat in the past few weeks. I poured epoxy into the gaps between the stem and the sides of the bow.

I cut back the bulkheads to their finished size. I added bracing on the sides for the blocks that bolt the cross beams to the main hull. I drilled, beveled and notched the blocks for those beams and epoxied then bolted them into place.


I installed rails to the sides of the boat to support the seat backs and bases. I sanded the hull interior then painted on a coat of epoxy. I glued in the little bulkheads to support the centerboard case.

No comments:

Post a Comment